Friday, December 16, 2011

Malcolm Liepke's "Haute Couture" at Arcadia Gallery

I must confess I was overwhelmed by pretty colors and pretty faces when I stepped into Arcadia Gallery a few days ago.  This was my initial reaction in response to the new show titled "Haute Couture", presenting paintings by Malcolm Liepke.  Yet, I could not leave, and I circled the room a few times, looking for the deeper meaning of his art works.  I was intrigued.  Was it about sexuality, style, idealized bodies, or simply about colour and form?  In the end I got some help by reading the catalogue found at the front desk.  In it, I found numerous reproductions of much older paintings (from the '80s and 90's) by the artist, as well as some newer pieces.  I then read in the artist's own words what his intent was with this current exhibition: a homage to the figure, in it's most simple (and decorative?) way.  I will say that I prefer Malcolm's earlier pieces, which are actually quite impressive.  However, I respect his attempt to break his own boundaries and to take his art into a new direction.   

No comments:

Post a Comment