Sunday, September 4, 2011

Summer Potpourri Exhibition at Salamagundi Art Club


Anne Kullaf "Tea and Silver"
Last Saturday I went to the Salamagundi Art club to see their Summer Potpourri Exhibition.  There were around thirty or more works on display, a mish-mash of different mediums and genres.  The word "potpourri" is exactly the impression I got from it, and not in a good sense. Overall I was not at all impressed with the show. I did see some still lifes that interested me (see photos on the right), and some still lifes that were not very well finished/developed.  A couple portraits also were worth seeing, but in general this show does not impress by technical skill, concept, or originality of the artists.  However, in the building there are some good paintings, such as Richard Lithgow's Winter Rags (see picture on the left).  It is a club worth visiting for it's historical significance and heritage, and sometimes for better exhibitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment