Saturday, August 27, 2011

My visit to Arcadia Gallery in Soho

In the beginning of August I went to check out Arcadia Gallery in Soho, Manhattan.   I was mostly interested in viewing Rob Liberace's work, and I was not disappointed.   I've come across his art work in a number of magazines, and immediately I've been intrigued and awed by his figure drawings.  To my surprise, the one drawing of his in the gallery is very large, almost life size.  It is made in black charcoal, with touches of sanguine, and white chalk.  Liberace's piece is beautifully executed, with an astonishing attention to anatomical detail and careful rendering of the human forms. Loose contours and broken lines are balancing the detailed modeling giving a sense of motion to the whole piece and a contemporary "look".  I would also like to mention that the paper is primed and toned by the artist, and drippings are still visible once again making it feel contemporary and unique.  Finally, the overall gesture, and energy of the drawing, plus the size make this a piece that grabbed my attention right away, and did not let go.
Arcadia also has one of Rob Liberace's oil paintings on display, a piece that I also enjoyed, and I am adding here for you to view. 

No comments:

Post a Comment